help with lighting
Can anyone tell me why this looks completely burned out in the Render window whereas the preview looks fine? How can I get the two views to match? Thanks for any help.
The picture only shows flat color while rendering. Open the Lighting window to see the effect of lighting (in the lighting preview until you apply it to the full picture). There are lighting presets of various kinds. (In the 1.6 Basic category there is one named 'Front diffuse' that matches the main window preview). In general, lighting looks best with some shadows, and the shadow angles need to be set before rendering. You can preview lighting while rendering, but the render needs to be stopped before you can apply lighting. The big button at the bottom of the lighting window can do both.
(02-08-2018, 12:43 PM)Garth Thornton Wrote: The picture only shows flat color while rendering. Open the Lighting window to see the effect of lighting (in the lighting preview until you apply it to the full picture). There are lighting presets of various kinds. (In the 1.6 Basic category there is one named 'Front diffuse' that matches the main window preview). In general, lighting looks best with some shadows, and the shadow angles need to be set before rendering. You can preview lighting while rendering, but the render needs to be stopped before you can apply lighting. The big button at the bottom of the lighting window can do both.

Ah yes. Looks a lot better that way ;-) very deep program to see the least - wish I could find more comrephensive tutorials.
Otherwise, thanks for the speedy reply.
dm
Actually, all I really want is the very same black and white/illustration style look that I get in the preview. I don't see how to convert the image to black and white and I am not getting the wide range of values/shades in the final render that I see in the preview. Any other suggestions on how to match the final render exactly to the preview? The preview is black on a white background, btw, which is not what I am gettin gin the final render.
thanks again
dennis
In the Lighting window, set the background color to white, the saturation to 0, increase the intensity of light 1 and if necessary set ambient light (#0) intensity to 0.
Will give that a try. What about Depth settings in that same window to make sure I get a try 3D look?
Ahh, well for rendering objects the Depth window is not required; in fact it should not be used because it creates depth from colors. When you render objects the depth map is generated automatically. The Depth window is only used to create artificial depth effects, eg for imported pictures or for backgrounds created with the Pic Tex filter.
That's working - thanks - but last question ( and I have read a lot of the manual).
The image in the render window is not crisp and sharp like the preview - there is no clarity in the lines - it's basically a black mess with some orange highlights in the rear of the image that I don't want (just b and w) and the render is finished. I can let this run overnight - can you give me a quick list of settings to use to get extremely high clarity in the output image, which is a complex flurry of lines and curves?
thanks again
I can't tell without seeing pictures, but that sounds like it hasn't rendered very long. To get good clarity requires larger render size, with correspondingly longer render time.
OK - well that was my question - what settings should I be using for best quality rendering of a b&w image. The render time says : 643 Rate : 11957 9000x6750 Pass 9.07 Max Depth: 11 Cutoff 5120 and the image is all washed out again now and rendering white on black not black on white.... I don't think it is still rendering.
As a rule, what are the best settings for Method/Resolution etc? Should I jack up the resolution? It is set at 50 Terminate at 17871 lo 76 Hi 76 I need to study that area more carefully but if you can give me some advice it would be great thanks again